Make sure to check back tomorrow for the second part of the interview, where Russo discussed leaving WWE, Vince McMahon's reaction to his departure, his WCW tenure, the controversial Bash at the Beach incident with Hulk Hogan and much more.
Also, make sure to follow Russo on Twitter @PyroAndBallyhoo, and visit his website at PyroAndBallyhoo.com.
Wrestling INC: I know you have a background in journalism and have been writing since the 1980s. When did you start watching wrestling?
Russo: I'd probably have to say 1972. I was probably about 12-years-old and quite frankly, the first time growing up in Long Island, I stumbled across it. Looking back, I'd say 1973.
Wrestling INC: I didn't realized that you've been watching for such a long time. Have you been a fan for the entire period since 1973?
Russo: I have been a fan. Honestly, I lost track of it when I did go away to college for a couple of reasons. First of all, I went to college in Indiana and wrestling wasn't that big there. Evansville was a big town and that's where I went to school. Wrestling wasn't as big as it was in New York. There was probably a time between 1980 and 1985 when I pretty much didn't watch it at all. Once I was married and back in Long Island, I started watching a little bit again.
Wrestling INC: Who were some of your favorite wrestlers growing up?
Russo: What got me hooked on wrestling was just trying to find something on TV. I came across Vince McMahon, Jr. back in the day interviewing Caption Lou Albano and The Valiant Brothers and I was hooked. That explains what drew me to the business, what I like about the business, and my psychology about the business. When I was first grabbed, it wasn't about something that was going on in the ring. It was an interview with these three characters and I had never seen anything like this before. I was memorized by "Handsome" Jimmy, "Luscious" Johnny, and Albano. That's what got me hooked and when I started watching, there were a couple of guys I liked right away. Growing up in New York everybody loved Bruno [Sammartino], but I was a Chief Jay Strongbow and "The Big Cat" Ernie Ladd fan.
I think that's why I always butt heads with the internet wrestling community because watching from that far back, and it was the end of Vince McMahon, Sr.'s tenure end, but watching way back then and knowing what drew me to it, I always knew what it was meant to be. To me, that's what wrestling is all about. Back in the day it was predetermined, they had to separate it from boxing as much as they could, and they had to ask why people would see fake fights when they could see real ones. The answer was in the characters, presentation, and storytelling. I always felt that was what the business was built on and the in ring work was really secondary. That's how I've written or produced throughout my 20 plus years in the business.
Wrestling INC: When you first started training at Johnny Rodz's gym, were you looking to became a wrestler, manager or a referee?
Read more at http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2014/0603/576668/vince-russo-talks-getting-his-start-with-wwe/#H6Rmo47AcDQJg7Uq.99
No comments:
Post a Comment