Pages

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Terri Runnels Talks Owen Memories, Pillman Angle, Goldust, Which Angle She Shot Down, WWE Career Read more PAGE3 at http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2014/0708/577830/terri-runnels-talks-owen-memories/#uzMQLrX4uf8Tsoc5.99

Wrestling INC: During that time you had a memorable feud between Brian Pillman and Goldust. You had dated Brian a little in WCW. Was that storyline at all awkward?
Runnels: It wasn't awkward. It had been awhile since Brian and I dated. We didn't date for long. He called and said his ex-girlfriend was pregnant. I told him it was cool, do what he needs to do, and we will remain friends. It wasn't a big deal when he came to the WWE and did the storyline. I wish we would have been able to play it out. It's sad the way it ended.
Wrestling INC: The storyline was supposed to end with you leaving Goldust for Brian. Is that correct?
Runnels: Right. I can visualize it because I had this gold wedding dress made for that pay-per-view where Dustin and I were supposed to renew our vows. I envisioned Dustin beating the dog snot out of Brian and I throw myself in-between them—covering my dress in blood. I was supposed tell Dustin how I fell in love with Brian during our time together. Of course, it never happened. I did an indie show for Afa [Anoa'i] and there I met Luna [Vachon] for the first time. I thought she would be awesome to do a reverse angle where Dustin falls in love with somebody else while I was stuck with Brian. The angle went crazier than it should have, but it is what it is.
Wrestling INC: Brian Pillman died the day of the In Your House: Badd Blood pay-per-view. What was the reaction like backstage?
Runnels: Brian was supposed to act cold and possessive towards me by yanking and jerking me around. The night before the PPV he was extra rough and he cut me with his fingernails. I could tell something was off and asked him after the match if he was okay. He was pissed off about the boys not letting him ride with them. I asked Dustin if we could give him a ride and he said someone else would. The next day we're supposed to be at the building by 1 p.m. and it's now 4 p.m. You don't show up that late to a pay-per-view, so I thought he missed his flight. I told Dave Hebner that he wasn't here and something was up. He called and found out the terrible news.
Wrestling INC: Did Dustin not want Brian to ride because of where he was in the storyline?
Runnels: I don't know. Maybe because of the angle we were doing in a time where kayfabe was more important. The night of me supposedly going with Brian, I left in the trunk for kayfabe purposes. I never to this day asked why he didn't want him to ride with us. I respected my husband's decision.
Wrestling INC: You were also given the Pretty Mean Sisters (PMS) gimmick. What were your thoughts when they pitched you that idea?
Runnels: I hated that name. I kept coming up with other acronyms for Vince to use and he wouldn't go for them. All I could think about was, 'eww, I don't want to think of a woman's time of the month. Gross!'
Wrestling INC: You were with the business at the height of this insane peak. What was it like being in the company at that time?
Runnels: It was awesome in so many ways. So many envelopes were pushed and I've been emphatic on how in the Attitude Era the WWE used incredible double entendres to get our adult message across, but still circumnavigate the brains of our children. When we went past that with HLA [Hot Lesbian Action] or necrophilia with Kane, I didn't know how to explain that to my daughter. The visual of HLA was so overwhelming that I thought we went overboard. Back then it was 'Terri, you're wrestling in a thong in a paddle on the pole match.' Crazy stuff. I would love to see some of the girls today wrestle in the outfits I had to wear. I would have loved to wrestle as covered up as they are today.

Read more at http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2014/0708/577830/terri-runnels-talks-owen-memories/#uzMQLrX4uf8Tsoc5.99

No comments:

Post a Comment